Napkin Story Guidelines – Toronto
For aspiring and emerging writers, in October 2013 Tiny Owl Workshop will be working with cafes in Brisbane (Australia), Toronto (Canada) and Leeds (England) to add a little something Halloweenish to coffee time. We’ll be publishing 30 flash fiction stories on paper napkins and getting them out through cafes who’d like to join us. We’ll choose 10 stories from Brisbane writers, 10 from Toronto writers and 10 fromLeeds writers. If you want to see what a napkin story looks like take a peek here. We’ve found some wonderful help via the Twitterverse and the lovely Anne E. Murray (@annemurray99) in Canada and Kate McDonald (@mcbookishness) in the UK will be helping to promote the project to aspiring and emerging writers as well as tracking down cafes who may like to be involved. Make sure you follow Anne and Kate on Twitter to keep up with what’s happening. Avid Reader in Brisbane is the first cafe (and bookshop) to join us, because they’re wonderful. So, if you’re an aspiring or emerging writer in Brisbane, Toronto or Manchester/Liverpool and you’d like to have your flash fiction story considered for inclusion, here are the guidelines:
- It’s flash fiction. On napkins. So, stories cannot be over 300 words.
- The stories will be published and distributed in time for Halloween, so the theme is simply Halloween. That means your stories can be about ghouls, ghosts, otherworlds, fables, family, feasts, rituals, etc, so long as there is some element of Halloween in the story.
- Stories accepted for inclusion by Tiny Owl will be paid $50 (AUD).
- Stories that have already been published are not eligible for consideration.
- Finished stories must be submitted via email to Tiny Owl at email@example.com
- Stories must be included in the body of the email or as a .doc attachment.
- The submission deadline for Toronto is midnight Thursday 18 July 2013.
- Along with your story, please submit a flash bio – no more than 140 characters (characters, not words). The bio will be published alongside your story (for those accepted).
- While the theme is ‘Halloween’, there are no limitations other than to say your potential audience will be people stopping for a cuppa/break/chat/think/scribble/snack/laugh in a local cafe they like. They may be adults, but they may be any age, so keep your potential audience in mind.
- We will let you know when your story reaches us (via email).
- We’ll let people know in the week beginning 24 June 2013 whether their story has been accepted or not.
- Authors retain copyright of their stories.
So, get scribbling and submit by 18 July 2013. We’ll also let you know which cafes are joining us as we go. Cheers Sue
4 Responses to “Napkin Story Guidelines – Toronto”
Reblogged this on Beverley Argent and commented:
Wandering about the twitterverse and this popped up. I love this idea! I see it as an amazing way to reach a market of readers.
I even have something I could share, if only I lived in Leeds/Manchester/ etc
We would have loved to have done more places. Perhaps next time.
[…] Napkin Story Guidelines – Brisbane, Toronto, Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds. […]
Reblogged this on Here's A Thought.